Unfortunately, not the edible kind of sandwich – the written kind. Goals, discoveries, goals.
I’m going to kill two birds with one stone here. I skipped my discoveries last week because of my travels and the hurricane, so I can’t put that off any longer. It’s also a new month – 20+ posts later, and now it’s september. I swear, time goes by faster and faster the older I get.
August goal recap:
- Variation: I did really well with this. I can’t even recall once that I repeated the same meals or same workouts 2 days in a row, so I’d call it a success
- Go with the Flow: Not so great. The second half of the month was a bit rough, but i think it was mostly due to hormone ups and downs. And anxiety to get back to new york & school.
- Take real rest days, and enjoy them: So done. And I loved it. That bit of guilt / restriction is still there though, but this is a big step.
- Get back into academia: major fail. I didn’t even start any kind of programming or other academic work.
- Fitness goals: I’m at about 6-7 push ups in a row, more than halfway there! – no more of those silly knees, I took Zumba classes and I’m counting that as dance. (but now I’m back to my real dance class!) stretch every day – not so great. I always stretch after workouts, but otherwise I mostly forgot.
- Water: hard to gauge, but I was definitely more conscious of it, and was probably drinking more.
- Limit up-and-down episodes: definitely better, but the balance is not there yet. In traveling I probably ate double what I needed to, and some days I went a little crazy with the snacking. The cravings did not get ignored, though!
2. Trader Joe’s does really strange things with their hummus.
3. The wonder that is One Lucky Duck’s raw vegan mallomars!
4. New afternoon pick-me-up – yerba maté latte!
5. the wonder that is iHerb. Use the code COV168 for an awesome discount on your first order! Spoils below.
6. cheap college night dinner: kale & eggs (Ashley-style), brown rice with hummus and a spray of olive oil.
- Fitness goals: make it to 10 push ups! keep up the workout variation – it’s really easy to fall into a workout rut with the gym so convenient.
- Positive Self Talk: I sound like psychologist here, but this helps me when I remember. If something starts to spiral out of control, stop, step back, take a breath, tell myself to slow down. Stress is about to be seriously re-introduced, and I want to do all that I can to not get started on a downward spiral.
- Be Social: It’s far too easy for me to just sit back in my room and just chill on my own. Yet I always have fun when I go out with people. So the first step? Not turning down invitations to hang out. I don’t want to become a school-obsessed recluse.
- Cook food for myself: it’s cheaper than eating at restaurants and cafés, and now that I don’t have a meal plan, this will be really important. I’m working on a meal-planning strategy, but I haven’t quite figured it out yet. Also, always pack snacks, so I’m not tempted to buy overpriced or over-sugared ones.
- Smile. I have a tendency to shy away from people and invert. It pushes people away. Everyone likes a smiling person. Plus, I heard that when you smile, it makes you feel happy anyway.
How was your august?
What are some things you hope to achieve this September?